(this guy might want to reconsider)
Every now and then something will surface that seems completely paradoxical to those seeking greater levels of health. Many of them we talk about on this blog and include
- The fact that fats are actually good for us! Including the once considered evil saturated fat
- The fact that cholesterol is good for you and necessary for health and longevity
- The fact that exercise doesn’t need to be based on what someone else says is best for you but your body
Well, another one of these long held beliefs has been CRUSHED!
The belief that long slow cardio and endurance events like marathons are held for those that are extremely healthy and fit. And training for one is the quickest way to bring lasting health and weight loss.
These recent studies have now found otherwise with these results:
- Right ventricular (RV) function diminished after races
- Blood levels of cardiac enzymes (markers for heart injury) increased
- The longer the race, the greater the decrease in RV function
- 12 percent of the athletes had scar tissue in their heart muscle detected on MRI scans one week after the race
Read more here:
Dr. Mercola (one of the foremost holistic physicians out there) was who put together these findings for this article was once a very avid runner and claims to have stopped this style of training all together.
Honestly, we’ve known about this for a long time, it just takes that long for everything else to catch up. Now that you know this information you have the chance of becoming one of the early adopters (hopefully).
You are set FREE! No more wasted time on treadmills, stairclimbers, ellipiticals or the road.
MY TAKE ON THIS RESEARCH
Even with light shed on this topic I am not opposed to running. It’s going beyond limits and doing movement that doesn’t test well that will debilitate most. In fact many of my clients have and continue to benefit from it in their lives but most do best with the mEA (minimal effective amount). I even like to do a light jog when it tests well myself.
If you’re a serious runner and you enjoy being out on the open road then that’s great. I think this study is definitely something to be aware of but it doesn’t have to be limiting provided you TEST YOUR MOVEMENTS and WORK WITHIN YOUR LIMITS.
Unfortunately those two statements will rule most everyone out as they are following some predetermined peaking schedule and not their body which can lead to
- the above mentioned heart damage implications
- nagging injuries that take forever to heal
- weight gain that seems to stem from nowhere even though you’re running big mileage numbers
- sleep that is often not restful due to over-training.
- poor running numbers, not getting faster or even getting slower
- and more…
But we are built to run, right?
I hear it all the time from runners not wanting to or that are not quite ready to question their belief about this “healthy” sport that could be making them worse. I honestly understand where they are coming from. It can be hard to question long held beliefs and change old patterns of behavior. We’ve built an industry on the belief that it’s beneficial for all of us.
But you are now armed with research that points otherwise, or at least lets you know it needs to be tested.
The choice is now yours.
THE SOLUTION FOR THOSE WANTING LASTING HEALTH AND FAT LOSS
- work within your limits
- find movements you enjoy that can be completed in shorter intensity and duration sessions
- resistance training will bring quicker more lasting results
For more on tested movements, working within your limits and creating a program that is right for you there are still have a few slots left in my soon to launch ONLINE COACHING PROGRAM. Reserve yours now!
Email me email@example.com to learn more today.