Yes you read the title correctly. No this is not some scam to sell some miracle product guaranteed to shed pounds while eating as much fat as possible. This is simply the idea that by incorporating the correct fats into your diet you can increase the quality and quantity of your health and fat loss results.
Many of us grew up believing that fat was bad, more specifically saturated fat. We were told that fat in the diet was directly correlated to the bulge around the mid section, the wideness of our hips and the gunk in our arteries. At all costs we were instructed to eliminate or minimize it if we wanted any amount of lasting health.
And what happened?
We got FATTER and MORE SICK! Forget about washboard abs, our obesity epidemic has moved so quickly that we can’t keep up. Our children are the first generation in human history that are predicted to be more obese and have a shorter lifespan than us. Think about that! Many of them really don’t even have a chance or a choice!
And I promise you this is not from too much QUALITY fat consumption. (there is a difference)
Here’s some interesting food for thought regarding fat consumption and public health;
During the sixty-year period from 1910 to 1970, the proportion of traditional animal or saturated fat in the American diet DECLINED from 83 percent to 62 percent, and butter consumption plummeted from 18 pounds per person per year to four. During the past eighty years, dietary cholesterol intake has increased only 1 percent!
During the same period the percentage of dietary vegetable oils in the form of the horribly health wrecking margarine, shortening (partially hydrogenated) and refined oils has increased 400 percent while the consumption of sugar and processed foods has increased about 60 percent! (Nourishing Traditions, 5)
Clearly there is a direct link to disease and body fat storage when we consume;
- Poor quality fats like partially hydrogenated oils and margarine and refined oils, even in moderation
- Processed foods
Hopefully this very short diatribe into why fats are not necessarily a bad thing got your ears perked. We no longer need an excuse to eat fat! And even better, the fat we are talking about helps SHED FAT and increase health!
By now you’ve probably heard the benefits of coconut oil. It’s been on everything from Dr. Oz to local health reports touting many different health claims, many of which are people are finding to be true.
But have you heard any of them talk about the ability for it to help you burn fat?
I’ve been using coconut oil very religiously now for about 5 years. I must say it has gotten me through some of my personal weight loss plateaus even while the politically correct were telling me that there was no way I could drop fat on it.
As it turns out, they are all using it now! Why? Because of it’s ability to naturally boost the metabolism.
The well known biochemist Ray Peat had this to say in his research on coconut oils effects on livestock;
“In the l940s, farmers attempted to use cheap coconut oil for fattening their animals, but they found that it made them lean, active and hungry. For a few years, an antithyroid drug was found to make the livestock get fat while eating less food, but then it was found to be a strong carcinogen, and it also probably produced hypothyroidism in the people who ate the meat. By the late l940s, it was found that the same antithyroid effect, causing animals to get fat without eating much food, could be achieved by using soy beans and corn as feed.
Later, an animal experiment fed diets that were low or high in total fat, and in different groups the fat was provided by pure coconut oil, or a pure unsaturated oil, or by various mixtures of the two oils. At the end of their lives, the animals’ obesity increased directly in proportion to the ratio of unsaturated oil to coconut oil in their diet, and was not related to the total amount of fat they had consumed. That is, animals which ate just a little pure unsaturated oil were fat, and animals which ate a lot of coconut oil were lean.”
These farmers naturally thought that feeding their livestock coconut oil would INCREASE weight when in actuality it DECREASED. It’s obvious too why they switched to adding soy and corn to feed, it get’s them fat quickly!
Why is coconut oil so beneficial for health and fat loss for us?
- It’s largely made up of fatty acids called medium chained triglycerides. I’ll save the biochemistry lesson, but they are basically more utilizable for quick energy as opposed to being stored as body fat. Some studies have shown that MCTs can help in the process of excess calorie burning, and thus weight loss. MCTs are also seen as promoting fat oxidation and reduced food intake.
- Contains high amounts of lauric acid (also found in mothers milk), which naturally has antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
- Being that it’s highly saturated it is less prone to rancidity even at higher cooking temperatures. This makes it ideal for sauteing, baking, frying etc. without the damaging affects rancid oils have on the body. It’s also shelf stable for nearly 2 years.
- Naturally supports elevated metabolism (see above)
WHERE DO YOU START?
1) Sign up for my free fat loss mini lesson to the right—>. When you confirm you’ll be sent a list of high quality oils, which brands are best and where to get them. Pick up some oil today! *I like these guys* If you’re looking for no odor or taste choose expeller pressed coconut.
2) Immediately start substituting and alternating coconut oil any place you would normally use fats;
- in dressing or soups
Not using fats or don’t cook much? There’s no better time to start. In fact, you can use coconut oil as a supplement by eating a teaspoon or up to 3 tablespoons daily, just like food. I freeze mine just before so there’s an extra crunch.
3) Enjoy the benefits of a lean midsection and increased health!
For more info on where to find high quality foods check out my list of resources here.
I’d love to hear about your coconut oil and fat loss experience! Feel free to comment below.